Monday, January 4, 2010

plate 1: australia

What do servos and sporting matches, corner shops and construction sites all have in common? Perhaps many things, but one of their culinary commonalities is the humble meat pie.

The beauty of these little pastry cases that house a meaty filling of beef cooked with onions, sometimes vegies, sometimes Vegemite, and always topped with a squirt of tomato sauce is that they’re so versatile.

That’s why I’ve decided to cook it for a low-key Monday-night tea with my lovely boy AJ. Meat pie in one hand and a VB in the other – ah bliss.

In Australia, the meat pie dates back to the early 20th century, although some research has found its origins in medieval Europe where it was a way of preserving meat. Details, details. Fast forward a century or so and we Aussies have well and truly claimed it as our own. Apparently every one of us eats 12 meat pies a year and, since that’s one a month, I’m not wasting any time to start my quota for 2010.

Type “meat pie” into Google and a plethora of recipe possibilities are at your fingertips. More traditional versions use mince meat while some gourmet choices are cooked with chunky bits of beef, but I couldn’t go past one that featured Vegemite as an ingredient because a meat pie is, well, as Aussie as Vegemite.

Cooking the mince mixture was delightfully pleasant. Wafting through the kitchen was the smell of, not surprisingly, a meat pie filling, even though it did resemble bolognaise. With a smell this good, I'm surprised I waited the hours till dinner.

I'm proud I restrained myself though - it was well worth the wait. The filling was deliciously rich and the pastry was fabulously crispy and golden. But quite possibly the best part was that I discovered another location to eat this you-beaut meal - on a picnic rug on my balcony with the backdrop of the sun going down.

Make your own pies and devour them wherever suits you - enjoy! x



Pushing in the pastry cases


I heart the finished product


What more could a girl want?

No comments:

Post a Comment