Sunday, October 10, 2010

plate 41: brazil

Two weeks between desserts is a long time. Of course I've eaten many during this time, I just haven't made any. But something sweet was required for someone sweet: my one-and-only aunty Viv who celebrated her birthday this week.

A random thought back to my South American holiday prompted me to search for Brazilian desserts. I wanted something tropical and sunshiny, and I came across something that sounded delightful. Quindim. Apparently pronounced "keen-jean".

An upside-down coconut custard, this sweet beauty is a loved Brazilian treat, one that they sell at the annual National Fair of Sweets in Brazil. Isn't it cool they have a yearly festival dedicated to all things sweet?

Quindims don't really require many ingredients, just lots and lots of egg yolks. This recipe called for 14. I sweated slightly at the thought of having to test my egg separating skills once again, but managed to get through it. After beating butter and sugar, I added the yolks, one by one, until the mixture was super-smooth and creamy before folding in desiccated coconut and a dash of vanilla and coconut flavouring. 
While this recipe used mini muffin pans, I ended up using regular-sized muffin tins, which worked a treat, because it was a nice-sized little portion for everyone for dessert. It's always dangerous making mini treats because it's so easy to wolf down a few too many.

Cooked in a bain marie so the custards cook evenly, once baked you have to let them cool a little before very very carefully turning them out of the pans, otherwise they can turn out all misshapen and ugly. Once flipped out, they looked great. A beautiful bright yellow. Because the pans were dusted with a bit of melted butter and sugar before putting in the mixture, the quindim had a shiny, sticky glaze. And they smelled divine, too. Too bad we had to wait 24 hours before indulging.
A small water accident as I was filling the bain marie caused some egg scrambling, so I was one down.

They're traditionally served chilled though, but even thought they'd been refrigerated overnight when I arrived at the folks' house, where the dessert devouring would be taking place, there was a blackout. The fridge wasn't working. Thank God just before we left for our dinner at Amarcord - fantastic northern Italian cuisine - power was returned so the little goodies could be chilled some more.

Presentation wise they didn't look amazing solo, so I plated them up on a cake stand, embellished with strawberries, blueberries and fresh plump dates, which made them more outstanding. They look nice, no?
And they tasted good, too. Naughtily sweet, with that delicious coconutty texture. Everyone seemed to like them, especially the birthday girl who loves coconut. If you wanted to make them small I reckon they'd be lovely as part of an afternoon tea, all girly and high-tea like with other little dainty treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment